- Spa area
- Event & Meeting
- Pastry Shop
Almost a duty is an excursion to the Wieskirche, rococo jewel and UNESCO World Cultural Heritage.
One of the most famous Rococo churches in the world is the pilgrimage church "To the Scourged Savior" on the meadow in Steingaden. The figure of the suffering Christ, the scourged Savior, is the center of the Church.
In 1743 the Steingadener Abt Hyazinth Gaßner commissioned Dominikus Zimmermann to make a design for a pilgrimage church on the meadow.
As early as 1740 the Abbot had discussed with Zimmermann plans for the transformation of the abbey church in Steingaden. From 1727 to 1732, the Landsberg town builder for the Premonstratensian abbey of Schussenried had created the pilgrimage church of Steinhausen as a real Rococo building.
Unfortunately, Abt Hyazinth was only able to begin the construction work - he died on March 28, 1745, at the age of 52. But the successor, Abbot Marian II Mayr, took over the plans and implemented the work. In 1745, the building of the pilgrimage house was already 40 feet in height with a U-shaped ground plan, with the Prelatenstock in the south and the pilgrimage center in the north holding a small court of honor open to the east.
The official foundation foundation commissioned by the Baier elector Max Joseph III. Took place only afterwards on the 10th of July, 1746. In order to achieve this belated legalization of the building, Abbot Marian Mayr had assailed the electors, who were, however, very skeptical of the request. That is why the regent did not want to lay the foundation himself, but instead commissioned Probst Herkulan Kahn from Diessen with the task.
The eastern choir with its tower and sacristy was the next section of the building and could be put under the roof in the same year. In the interior design, the eastern choir is the "peak of the mountain", which was the result of an architectural and technical solution to the dissolution of the architecture, but it was only possible to cover arcades by means of arched arches, but Dominikus Zimmermann used pendulous arches between the pillars of the chorum More than masonry, but only as a wood link.
Only the priest's house and the chancel were built. Within three years up to 1749, the choir was "perfected with all possible ornamentation", and on August 31, 1749, the image of Mercy could be solemnly transferred from the field chapel after Abbot Marian had chorused the choir one week before.
Then the construction of the nave was begun, which was completed in 1754. In 1756 the two side altars followed. In 1757 the organ was set up. In and with this year, D. Zimmermann signed a votive picture thanks to the completion of the church.
The wonder in the meadow
The foundation of the church goes back to a pilgrimage, which existed since 1739. It originated from the worship of a statue of the Scourged Savior, which was made in 1730 by Father Magnus Straub and brother Lukas Schweiger in the Upper Bavarian monastery Steingaden.
The statue was supported during the Good Friday procession of the monastery in 1732-34, but in 1738 it came into the private possession of a peasant on the meadow, the place of the summer and recreation home of the monastery a few kilometers southeast of the village.
On 14 June 1738 the farmer Maria Lory noticed in the eyes of the figure a few drops, which she considered tears.
In the following year 1739, prayers and small pilgrimages to the image of the Savior led to the construction of a small field chapel. In 1744 permission was given to read the Mass in the chapel, which gave the pilgrims the official blessing of the church
Visitors to the Wieskirche can look, admire, pray, and are always invited to attend a church service or a concert in the summer. Many, however, come to find God in silent restraint in the Scourged Savior.
For more information please click here